Participants |  Directions to TSC |  Contact Us |  In an Emergency | 



   For EAP Participants

Directions to Host Universities & Dorms

  • From ShinOsaka to Saito Nishi Station, Minoh Campus, Osaka University (Minoh Campus,Osaka University)
  • From Saito Nishi Station to Minoh Campus, Osaka University (Saito Nishi Station to Minoh Campus,Osaka University)
  • General Map for UC Osaka Office, Toyonaka Campus, Osaka University (Campus Map UC Osaka Office, Toyonaka Campus,Osaka University)
  • Detailed directions to UC/UCEAP Osaka Office from Student Dorms and Shibahara Stn (Directions to UC/UCEAP Osaka Office from Shibahara Stn)
  • Back to top

    Directions to Hotels & Accommodation

  • From International Airports to Hotel Mets Musashisakai(HANEDA)(NARITA)
  • From International Airports to Hotel Citytel Musashisakai (HANEDA) (NARITA)
  • From International Airports to Oakhouse Social Residence Higashi-Koganei (HANEDA) (NARITA)
  • From International Airports (Haneda, Narita) to Flex Stay Inn Tokiwadai(HANEDA)(NARITA)
  • Back to top

    List of Hotels and Rooms

    Narita International Airport Area
  • Hotels around Tokyo & Narita Area

  • Musashisakai Area (Closest to ICU Campus, recommended for ICU programs)
  • Hotel Mets Musashisakai
  • Citytel Musashisakai

  • Weekly Hotel
  • Weekly Mansion Tokyo
  • Back to top

    Immigration Matters

  • Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted
  • Back to top


  • UCEAP Japan Participants (Select your program and click "insurance" tab)
  • Note: You will need to submit any receipts you get at the clinic/pharmacy.

    Back to top

    Carrying Personal Medication

    Please check in advance regarding your prescriptions and other medications as some may be prohibited in Japan. Do also check the allowed amounts of medications as some may have set limits.
    See below for links and FAQs regarding "Yakkan Shomei" (Medication Certificate).
  • Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare website (MHLW)
  • Yakkan Shomei FAQs

  • Back to top

    Before You Leave Japan

  • Final Checklist & Post EAP Address (Online Survey)
  • Non-mailable Items (Japan Post Link)
  • Baggage Shipping (PDF)
  • Baggage Shipping (ICU Students) (PDF)
  • Back to top

    Using Public Transportation

    Tokyo's mass transit system is baffling at first. Please refer to the following helpful tips for using public transportation in Tokyo. You will soon appreciate the efficiency of public transportation in Tokyo.

    The easiest way to use trains in Japan is to purchase a swipe-able, rechargeable transit card at the station closest to you. In Tokyo, there are two such cards - Suica (through JR - Japan Rail) and Pasmo (through the metro subway train system). These cards are invaluable to simplifying your travel experience. Use the machine to purchase one (500 yen refundable deposit), and charge it with some cash and you are set to go. The cards are also valid for use on travel on buses.
  • Suica Card Information
  • Pasmo Card Information

  • You need to purchase your train tickets from ticket vending machines located at station entrances. The price of your ticket depends on the distance you travel. Above these machines, you see a map of train stations with the station names shown in Japanese Kanji. Together with the station name is also shown the fare for a ticket to that station from your current station.

    If you are unsure of the fare, buy a ticket for the lowest fare available and present your ticket at the fare adjustment window or machine which should be inside the ticket gate before you exit at your destination. The attendants or machines inform you of how much you must pay to make up the difference of your trip.

    Insert your ticket at the ticket gates. The ticket will come out a slot at the other end of the gate. Make sure to collect it as you proceed through the gate. You need your ticket again to exit at your destination. When you reach your destination, insert the ticket again into the slot in the gate, but you will not receive the ticket back.
  • JR-East Japan Railway Company
  • JR-West Japan Railway Company
  • In Tokyo, you can use your swipe-able, chargeable transit card for buses as well. If you are unsure, either look for the transit card logo on the bus window, or ask the bus driver.

    If you are paying in cash, most buses in Tokyo require a flat fare of 220 yen. Pay this fare when you enter the bus. Passengers board the bus at the front where there is a coin machine beside the driver. If you have correct change, drop it in the coin box. If you do not have correct change, there is a slot beside the coin box where you can get change for 1,000 yen. The drivers help you if you can not figure it out. When you want to get off the bus, push the purple buzzer closest to you (unless it is already lit) and exit from the center of the bus.
    Passengers are expected to enter and exit taxis from the back passenger-side door. This door opens and closes automatically. You should not try to open or close this door yourself. Drivers start the meter at the beginning of the trip and the fare is displayed. It is not a custom to tip drivers in Japan.


    We discourage you from bringing money with you in the form of a check, personal or otherwise, as checks are not used in Japan. Not all debit cards, ATM bank cards, and credit cards issued in a foreign country can be used in Japan. We recommend for all students to not rely on an ATM card or a credit card alone for access to your money. Make sure you have more than one way to access your money. As an estimate to survive the first two weeks you are here, we recommend you to have 50,000-80,000 yen at least (this estimate does not include personal entertainment or independent travel abroad).

    VISA cards can be used countrywide at most Post offices and some convenience stores. However, please check with your card company or bank in advance that issued it to check if it can be used in Japan. Also, please check what your daily or weekly withdrawal limit is, and if necessary, make an application to have that limit increased, in order to avoid any problems while in Japan.

    One other option, particularly for short term stays in Japan, is the Travelex Cash Passport. This is a pre-paid cash card that can be charged up online. It can be used to withdraw cash at ATMs and can also be used like a regular credit card. If it is lost or stolen, it can be cancelled and replaced.

    Voltage in Japan

    The voltage in Japan differs from that in some other countries or operates at a different frequency: 100 volts, 50 cycles in Tokyo and eastern Japan, and 60 cycles in Kyoto and western Japan. This may mean that certain appliances made outside Japan (hair dryers, electric razors, etc.) do not work well. You may still be able to use them, but for appliances that require high precision, you may need a converter, which can be purchased at most electronics stores. The electric socket might also be a different shape to that of your home country. Please be sure to check this in advance, and if necessary, come prepared. These items can be difficult to find in and once your courses start, time for finding such items is limited.

    Back to top

    Useful Links

  • EAP Home
  • UCEAP Japan Participants Program Pages
  • University of California Tokyo Study Center

  • Medical
  • AMDA International Medical Information Center
  • Medical Resources in the Tokyo Area by Embassy of the United States in Japan
  • Tokyo Metropolitan Medical Institution Information "Himawari"
  • International Mental Health Professionals Japan : Searchable Directory
  • Tokyo English Lifeline (9am-11pm, 365 days/year)

  • Allergies / Dietary Restrictions
  • Tokyo Vegans Club: This page introduces vegatarian restaurants in Tokyo and Yokohama
  • HappyCow: A website devoted to vegan/vegetarian options around the world
  • The Essential Gluten-Free Guide: A guide to eating gluten-free in Japan
  • Gluten-Free Guide: A guide to eating gluten-free in Japan

  • City/Metropolitan Government
  • Kyoto City
  • Mitaka City
  • MISHOP (Mitaka International Society for Hospitality)
  • Osaka City
  • Sendai City
  • Tokyo Metropolitan Government

  • Pension
  • National Pension System Information Sheet
  • National Pension System Official International Website
  • National Pension System Information

  • My Number Card
  • The Japan Agency for Local Authority Information Systems: My Number Card Information
  • My Number Card Information Sheet

  • Japan & Tokyo
  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (Visiting Japan Links)
  • Tokyo International Communication Committee
  • NHK World English

  • Japanese Studies
  • Hiragana Megane: This page shows you how to read kanji on websiteds.
  • Pop Jisyo (Pop Dictionary): This page translates Japanese words on websites in English.
  • Reading Tutor
  • Practice for Beginners: For those with no knowledge of the Japanese alphabet (hiragana).
  • At Home in Japan: This page shows a good example of different points of view between a foreign student and his Japanese host family.

  • Japan transit links / apps
  • Jorudan Train Route Finder
  • HyperDia Train Route Finder
  • Yahoo Japan Transit Train Route Finder in Japanese

  • Staying Connected: cellphones, sim cards, pocket wifi, international calls etc
    Free wifi options
    (7-11 wifi is always good when in a jam)
  • Japan Connected - Free Wi-fi
  • Travel Japan Wi-fi
  • Messenging / Chat tools
  • Skype
  • Line
  • International Phone Card options
  • Brastel
  • Sim / Pocket Wi-fi options
    (we do not endorse this website, but offer the information as it might prove useful for you)
  • Short-term SIM card options
  • Long-term SIM card options
  • Japanese cell phone companies
  • KDDI
  • NTT Group
  • au by KDDI
  • NTT Docomo
  • Soft Bank

  • Courier Services
  • Yamato Transport (Kuroneko)
  • Sagawa Express
  • Nippon Express
  • DHL Japan
  • FedEx

  • Japan Post
  • Japan Post
  • Point and Speak Post Office Guide: English
  • Point and Speak Post Office Guide: Korean
  • Point and Speak Post Office Guide: Chinese
  • Dangerous Items - Cannot be Sent by International Mail
  • Back to top